Skip to main content

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year!

That's 2015 done and dusted, here's to 2016 and let's hope it's filled with love and laughter, friends and fun, books and cake. And really, that's about as far as my resolutions go but I do have a few projects in mind for the coming year and beyond.

This year there are two anniversaries I want to celebrate. The first is the two hundredth anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth on 21st April.
Jane Eyre is one of my most favourite stories of all and I've lost count of the number of times I've read it over the years. I'll be re-reading it yet again come April, but before then I plan to read the other three novels Charlotte wrote starting with Shirley this month. I'm quite keen to read the new Claire Harman biography of Charlotte Bronte too at some point.

The other anniversary is that of Shakespeare's death 400 years ago on 23rd April. I've finally admitted to myself that reading the same half dozen plays over and over isn't the same as having read all the plays. This year I will endeavour to add some new ones to my list, although I'm still probably going to start with The Winter's Tale as a warm up exercise... 

I've also vowed to read more Alexandre Dumas this year because his stories thrill me now as ever. The rush of excitement from a mixture of historical setting, intrigue, swashbuckling heroes and bloody brilliant female characters is so very often what I want and what Dumas so often provides. I also want to read the biography of his father that came out not that long ago, The Black Count by Tom Reiss. A decent biography of Dumas himself would be welcome, if anyone knows of one.

More general reading aims are to be more aware of who I'm reading. The Diverse December campaign has grown into Read Diverse 2016. Naomi at The Writes of Women and Dan at From Inside the Dog are continuing their campaign to get people to be more thoughtful and wide-ranging in choosing the books they read, and highlighting the work of BAME and LGBT authors. I read far more women than men, but the overwhelming majority are white women. Reading is what I do for pleasure, even if I do it compulsively - therefore I will only read what I want. But what I want are stories that engage and absorb me, that wrap me in their magic and live inside me and I don't want to miss out on stories I might love because I forget to look around a little harder. Seeking out new authors to adore is fun; this year I want to do it with more awareness of whose voices I'm hearing.

More than anything, this year I will read because I love reading. I need to cram stories into my head and my heart no less now than I did as a child. Reading isn't something I do as a worthy exercise or to improve myself. I consume stories because I don't know how not to and have no interest in finding out. And now I'm off to read a book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone...  Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen. But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …